About My Project...


As a kid every time I would cross a river in India, be it the Ganga or the Yamuna or any of their tributaries, I would have a feeling that the water levels of these rivers were receding... my heart would sink seeing the industrial pollutants making their way into these rivers...

On the contrary the feeling I would get seeing these rivers close to their origins… especially the Ganga in Rishikesh is indescribable… no pollution, no signs of water level depletion … so calm and so serene… the scent of freshness in the air…

I am documenting the life around river Ganga… the life as Ganga sees and feels it... the culture the river has supported for thousands of years, the people it has sustained over the centuries, and also the human interference it has suffered over the last one century or so...

Towards that I am following the river from its origins high up in the Himalayas all the way to where it merges with the Indian Ocean. All the while I am meeting with people who have been close to the river to narrate their feelings about the river, what they feel about the part Ganga has played in the Indian civilization and culture, what we human beings have done or could do or have not done to save this mighty river…

My final aim is to narrate the whole documentary as a multimedia and a book. I invite anyone and everyone to please help me with suggestions... critique... and hospitality. I would love to hear your suggestions and incorporate them into my project.


Note: The contents of this blog including the pictures are copyrighted and may not be copied or downloaded without prior permission of Rahul Rathi.
Disclaimer: This is a personal project of Rahul Rathi. He is not responsible for the accuracy of the contents here in and may not be sited as a reference without confirming the accuracy.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Plans...

I plan to take several trips to India in a span of coming few years, covering parts of Ganga in each trip with over 2500 km (1500 miles) in total. I am going to India on my first trip for the project this winter... and I will be blogging the story as it unfolds... please stay tuned.


My next trip is scheduled in April of 2010 during the Kumbh Mela at Haridwar.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Rahul, your photography is really taking you to a wonderful place. Wish you all the best and hope you achieve all that you desire. May the god be with you always. Warm wishes suresh

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent initiative. I am a keen follower of all major rivers across the globe. Would love to follow you closely begining of November. I wish you good luck! To help you (rather us) on it, I would like to make some contribution - funds. Let me know how and when. Cheers. Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi rahul, really you are doing a great job. water bodies are very essential for the living creatures. unfortunately in our country India, we( public) don't have proper information regarding this. This is the reason, water bodies are destroyed in different forms. This leads to the havoc to the lives. The global warming is a example to it. Your this new project is very vital to the life. This is the reason Supreme Court of India pronounced a judgement that water bodies should be brought to their original shape.I wish you all the best in your this new innovative project and endeavor.
    good luck,
    Heera Lal
    EMPA -10, Maxwell School ofCitizenship and Public affairs
    Of Syracuse University , Syracuse .
    Apts-220, Building No. 2
    121 Lafayette Road, Syracuse,NY,USA-13205
    315-214-5558( landline); 315-395-0291( Mobile )
    heeralalpcs@yahoo.co.in ; heeralalpcs@gmail.com
    http://heeralalpcs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete